CLICK ON PICTURES IN THE RIGHT-HAND MARGIN TO VISIT SOME PRETTY COOL PREVIOUS POSTS~!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

DRAWING STRAIGHT IN INK~ NOT A PENCIL IN SIGHT~!

I've already confessed~! I know it's a bad habit~! But~
I just can't stop doing it~! Not only is it fun, but it is
quite addictive once you get the hang of it and learn
to trust your own skills. Try it for a month~ and~
if it doesn't boost your confidence level ? Pick a
fight with someone a foot smaller than you and
kick the crap out of them ;~j

Sometimes I will use a ballpoint pen LIKE a pencil, by
not pressing down too much you can really control
the lightness or darkness of the line weight...

With a brush~ all bets are off~!

Either way, when you try to envision something
beforehand and then set out to capture it on
paper, there is no margin for error. This
can be quite exhilarating ~! Especially
when you start to like what you're
doing, and then fear messing up~!

Still, as Robert Crumb so profoundly
put it: 'It's only lines on paper !'

cheers~!












6 comments:

  1. It truly IS the only way. I don't think I've ever used a pencil...it seems like you're just drawing it twice that way.

    True my stuff isn't as well balanced or laid out as it should be and sometimes it isn't quite right. I just hate the scratching sound of pencil on paper...like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

    EMBRACE IT! LIVE DANGEROUSLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your checkered face and blackness face drawing is very disturbing. Something about it gives me the creeps. I know you will take that as a high compliment. The checkered one looks 3 dimensional, almost like a photo of a head in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love that one of the girl in bathing suit riding the bike through a puddle. Reminds me of the japanese ink and wash painting I love so much.

    As to drawing with pen only, I like the feel of a pencil! A nib or brush (God, a brush) refines the drawing. I think of it like writing - the first one's a rough draft - not that I don't stand in awe of you and Jeffy both! I have heard that Crumb drew like that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here Here Jeff~! I'm with you~!

    KW~ when uploading these images I thought
    of you for some reason when I chose the
    image you are commenting on. Crap~!
    We Bloggers are really getting to
    know each other~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all goes to show you, whatever tool suits your hand is the correct one. It's great to hear what pens or brushes or what-have-you great artists you admire use...but it's that artists hand and mind that made the piece...the tool was just the hammer he used.

    Great stuff Lys. Keep 'em coming, I'd love to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mykal~ that Girl on Bike sequence was something that I witnessed~! She had a CLEAR rain slicker like the Android from Blade Runner but was way cuter with a black bikini beneath~! Thank the Lord for Summertime Rain Storms @ the local Swimming Hole~!

    ReplyDelete