CLICK ON PICTURES IN THE RIGHT-HAND MARGIN TO VISIT SOME PRETTY COOL PREVIOUS POSTS~!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

ANATOMY OF A REJECTED T-SHIRT DESIGN~!


Ever have one of those assignments where
the Customer has no idea what they want,
and can barely speak English, and can
give you no direction whatsoever when
you do present them with sketches
and concept designs...? Yep. The
problem was, this client was also
THE NICEST PERSON EVER !

It got to the point where I just said,
"Look. Unless you are going to hire
me as a full time employee, I am
going to stop working on this
t-shirt until you have a better
(any) idea what you want".

I ended up getting two 'free'
take-out meals outta this
deal. Much as I enjoyed
the process, never
again ! I refuse
to work for food
like some (gasp)
starving artist !


















5 comments:

  1. I'd be interested to know what, if any, ideas the client had for this. Obviously a Thai restaurant and something about shooting fire. Beyond that . . .?

    I think you are absolutely right. an artist should be paid in money. Period!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The monkeys on the elephant is awesome. Look at all those drawings! Man! She put you through the ringer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mykal: She had no input in these designs; her take-out restaurant is called Thai Moon, so, the one Monkey is saying 'Cool Moon', and the other 'Spicy Hot', which explains the flames coming out the trunk of the Elephant. I am a wimp; I can only eat mild !

    KW: There were some other drawings featuring a Thai Dancer that got shot down for being a little riskay. I usually do lots lots of drawings, it's how I 'think out loud' on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That being said, I do love Thai food.

    And even if it wasn't Thai, I'd eat anywhere that had monkeys on the sign. That's not sarcasm either! Even if I hated the food, if they had monkeys on the sign, I'd force myself to eat the food on a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete